Cauliflower and carrots share the stage in this cheesy soup that’s sure to warm you up on the chilliest nights. We like it with hot pepper sauce; however, it can be omitted with equally tasty results.
Total Time: 30 min
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Recipe courtesy of Debbie Ohlhausen Chilliwack, British Columbia
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC