Total Time: 45 min
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 35 min
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces collard greens, cleaned, stemmed and chopped into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 10 ounces frozen cubed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Fresh lemon juice or hot sauce, optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the shallots are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger and a few grinds of pepper; stir until combined.
- Add the collard greens, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, then cook, stirring occasionally, until the collards wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the collards are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the squash, cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and toss to coat. Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon juice or hot sauce if using.